The wind had been blowing 50 to 60 km this day. I could hear it rattle the windows as I worked on the tapestry.
I heard a loud BANG and thought to myself, "Keep it down! I'm trying to work..."
The banging continued followed by sirens. I put my pencil down and headed outside.
I did not expect to see this!
I rent a small apartment in the top of an old farm house. The barn on the property was burning. There were no animals inside, only wood, hay and collected articles.
The fire department was quick to respond. However, Mother Nature was on our side.
If the wind had been blowing in a different direction, the fire may have touched the house.
Of course, I ran back and got the camera!
It didn't take long for the fire to consume the barn. There was nothing the FD could do to save it or the contents.
A cement marker at the door of the barn read 1911.
I kept my summer tires in there.
Just last week, I said to myself, "I should really take the car in. We're not going to get more snow."
I put it off for one more week.
Guess I should have listened...
I wasn't the only one with a camera. The fire department and police had to make sure the fire was an accident.
The night before, another barn burned to the ground only 5 minutes from our property.
The fire quickly spread to the dry corn fields. The winter has been oddly mild. The ground is as dry as kindling.
All this in about 30 minutes...
Firefighters worked hard to keep the fire from spreading from the fields to our property.
Not a great way to meet the neighbours!
A firefighter was perched high on a ladder far above the house so that he could overlook the area.
"You missed a spot!"
Swatches of black weave through the cornfields. As bad as this was, no one was hurt. The loss inside the barn was minor except for the anitque collections, my tires and a few turkey vulture nests. This could have been much worse.
The fire is still smouldering today.